Beautiful Sunday
Sign in to follow this  
Bino2014

St Mirren Colts v The Binos

That was tough.  Dominated the game from start to finish yet lost to the only real attack the opposition had.  But that particular writing was on the wall at the penalty.

Wright never looked like scoring so it was no surprise when he missed.   A St Mirren fan along from me shouted 'no wonder you're bottom of the league'.  Exactly.

We should have won that game at a canter even with a weakened team.  We had plenty of chances but a lack of confidence and a MOTM performance from the Saints keeper led to us drawing a blank.

I'm disappointed we didn't field a stronger team.  There was an opportunity to build on the small wave of positivity from last week but instead we slump to another 1-0 defeat and have to listen to calls for the manager's head again.

The team's not far away.  Defensively, we looked pretty good.  Banner and McLean played well as did Creaney.  Young Truesdale defied my previous statements that he can't defend. 

Up front, Peters started well but faded badly.  Wright ran about a lot.

In midfield, Heaver and Bikey put in good shifts but looked like they needed game time.  Jardine was industrious and creative.  Dom Docherty had one of his invisible man games.

Yet another defeat snatched from the jaws of victory.  It will need to stop at some point

KR saying in the after match interview that the players who weren’t playing weren’t available due to injury or suspension and he pretty much had to go with what he went with. 

That St Mirren team was the youngest looking group of players I’ve seen playing a professional match. 

Essentially we couldn’t beat a schoolboy eleven. 

We did have a lot of possession and their keeper was excellent on a couple of occasions, but surely we should be bullying wee boys into errors, not the other way round!

we seem collectively afraid to shoot, preferring to pass the responsibility on until the opportunity has gone, or run into blind alleys. 

What with the Scotland game last night and the pumping Belgium are going to give us on Monday, this has been a spectacularly shitty weekend of football for me. 

Scunnered. 

13 hours ago, J19 said:

That St Mirren team was the youngest looking group of players I’ve seen playing a professional match. 

Essentially we couldn’t beat a schoolboy eleven. 

We did have a lot of possession and their keeper was excellent on a couple of occasions, but surely we should be bullying wee boys into errors, not the other way round!

we seem collectively afraid to shoot, preferring to pass the responsibility on until the opportunity has gone, or run into blind alleys. 

What with the Scotland game last night and the pumping Belgium are going to give us on Monday, this has been a spectacularly shitty weekend of football for me. 

Scunnered. 

The St Mirren Colts are not a schoolboy eleven, they are full time young pros, some of whom could end up playing in the SPL. Yes we should have beaten them but its a failing of ours, we cannot score and when we were on top yesterday we failed to do so. Maybe if we had scored with the penalty it might have been a different result but we did not and we payed the price for our failure to get the ball in the net. 

The Elgin game is now even more important for us, we SIMPLY need to get a result from this game, I don't care if its a scrappy 1-0 win for us but we NEED TO WIN. 

I am all for giving KR a chance but unless results start to improve soon and I mean SOON then he should be shown the door. We cannot afford to finish in 10th spot in this League because I fear the worst for us. They are teams out their like Kelty Hearts, Bonnyrigg, East Kilbride who would love to take our place. 

The Board will have realised this and I would suspect that KR has been told what is expected of him and I expect that a deadline has been set to him either turn this around quickly or you will be out the door. Don't want to get rid of another manager but if needs must, then we have to do it. 

They may be “full time young pros” but physically they are still wee laddies. Age wise (I’m guessing) they could still be school age.

I was not belittling their potential but our inability to impose ourselves physically.  We are just too nice. 

22 minutes ago, Mr grumpy said:

If he beats Elgin then loses the next game, how many more games would you give him?

I would give him until the Brechin game to see where we are. If we are still at the bottom for this game and fail to get anything from that game then we need to get rid of him. 

Young they were, 5 of them have played in the league for their first team, their keeper was one of the 2 overage players, goal scorer started two Prem games this season. 

Soft they were not and whilst some may read this suggesting it implies we were bullied by a young team, you do what the ref allows you away with and they got away with a lot! Last week Nicol was sent off. Opinion is split on merits of it. Letter of the law yes but I said last week I suspect we’l see many worse challenges go unpunished. LEICESTER boy after VAR, Jack in old firm, then the challenge on Jardine yesterday all as bad as Nicol’s, possibly worse and none sent off! We are in a bad place and most things aren’t going for us. Another ref wouldv sent that boy off yesterday, that clown didn’t even see a foul. Then followed by failure to even book the boy for fouling Wright in conceding the pen! Double jeopardy suggests yellow wouldv sufficed but from where he was could he have claimed to be playing the ball? On another day with a different ref we are playing 9 and score the pen. Yeh, of my maw had baws she’d be my dad but we are not getting any breaks.

We should have won, anyone there could see that & had we scored the pen I’m fairly confident we wouldv won fairly comfortably. Fact is we aren’t winning and that needs to change. Under Scott, McDonald,  McLaren & Makay we were a shambles and looked hopelessly lost, right now we aren’t there. I may be mad but I’m trying to remain positive.

I believe once we get a win we can go on a wee bit of a run but that’s a big if, and no win in next 2/3 and regardless of how we perform it’s time for the board to act. 

Edited by Craigy
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, J19 said:

They may be “full time young pros” but physically they are still wee laddies. Age wise (I’m guessing) they could still be school age.

I was not belittling their potential but our inability to impose ourselves physically.  We are just too nice. 

Well for wee laddies some of their tackling was of a robust nature and I was surprised that the ref did not book a couple of them for their robust challenges yesterday. Are we too nice I don't think so given our record for yellow and red cards. 

We seem to have gone from creating hardly any chances to creating plenty, but still managing to lose. Sort of progress and sort of not. I didn't see the game, but I'm pretty sure St Mirren's Colts already knocked Dumbarton's first team out of that cup and some are underating them.  I'd much prefer it if Kr won next week, to him getting sacked.  He has to get them winning though and  it has to be soon. 

That's where the players doing their part comes in of course. To them I say this. I am absolutely sick of players suddenly managing to win after they've got the manager sacked. Different managers, different players, same bloody pattern. It's not all about KR, it's also about them. Get it done with the manager you've got, the one who signed you. Or piss off to be honest.

• Like 2

Having watched the highlights, there were plenty of attempts at goal but most were from the edge of the box. There weren't many clear chances. There was the penalty and the header, which were both straight at the keeper, and maybe the half volley that the keeper saved in the second half. I didn't see chance after chance that made me think "how have they not scored?".

4 hours ago, Darth Bino said:

We seem to have gone from creating hardly any chances to creating plenty, but still managing to lose. Sort of progress and sort of not. I didn't see the game, but I'm pretty sure St Mirren's Colts already knocked Dumbarton's first team out of that cup and some are underating them.  I'd much prefer it if Kr won next week, to him getting sacked.  He has to get them winning though and  it has to be soon. 

That's where the players doing their part comes in of course. To them I say this. I am absolutely sick of players suddenly managing to win after they've got the manager sacked. Different managers, different players, same bloody pattern. It's not all about KR, it's also about them. Get it done with the manager you've got, the one who signed you. Or piss off to be honest.

Different players, not just the present ones, have changed their attitude when the boss has been sacked.  Look at the difference players played for MacKay and KR after the previous manager was sacked.  Maybe the current players are unhappy, confused or have a negative feeling about KR's coaching.  Or, of course, maybe they're just, let's say, a poor investment and utterly useless.  Having read recent posts all of the above could apply.  OUR football club is currently in a hell of a state and if things don't change soon. i.e. this month, then it could be curtains for us in the SPFL.

On 9/7/2019 at 4:48 PM, Mr grumpy said:

Meet the manager will be interesting 

Should be, but I'm not going.  I don't want my blood pressure to go sky high.  One session in ward 102 at Edinburgh Royal, in my life time, is enough, thank you.  Anyway I might get barred or say something that I would regret later on.  

I noticed that there are many ifs, buts and excuses for our poor form.  Phrases like - "We were the better team", or "The referee was poor" and others. I know that everybody sees the games differently but, the fact is that we are not winning, and have into a habit of losing.  Losing by one goal, in each game, is as bad as getting beat by 3/4 goals.  Out points tally would still be zero. We've tried various line - ups in most of the games, and the final results have been of a negative disposition So maybe it's time that we recalled all of our younger players that have been distributed to various Junior teams, to see if they would play better that the players that have recently turned out for us.  

Having viewed the highlights I am further bemused as to how the ref didn’t card the guy who gave the pen away.  He lunges in direction of the ball but is never getting anywhere near it! Possibly only a yellow but absolutely certain that sort of challenges will see red elsewhere this year! 

1 hour ago, miketheheadlesschicken said:

Having watched the highlights, there were plenty of attempts at goal but most were from the edge of the box. There weren't many clear chances. There was the penalty and the header, which were both straight at the keeper, and maybe the half volley that the keeper saved in the second half. I didn't see chance after chance that made me think "how have they not scored?".

Neither of the strikers attacked the ball in the box. They waited for it to reach them.   So on the rare occasions where we got a decent ball in, the opportunity was wasted.  

We had a lot of possession and had the weans camped in their own half for a lot of the game.  Bikey had a few goes from outside the box - as did others - but few were on target.

For me it's a confidence thing.  The same thing happened last year with peaso.  For a large part of the season he was kind of hiding by dropping into midfield.  That meant he wasnt on hand in the box so wouldn't get the fans on his back when he missed. 

Peters is doing that now. 

Chances are being made but the strikers are scared of missing them so generally posted AWOL. 

To give wright his due he is getting up there but I dont think he is a natural goalscorer.  

If we can bang a few goals in then all that will change.  Bikey and duffy may well turn our season around if we can play them in the right way.  Still time and still hope 

1 hour ago, Robert Young said:

Different players, not just the present ones, have changed their attitude when the boss has been sacked.  Look at the difference players played for MacKay and KR after the previous manager was sacked.  Maybe the current players are unhappy, confused or have a negative feeling about KR's coaching.  Or, of course, maybe they're just, let's say, a poor investment and utterly useless.  Having read recent posts all of the above could apply.  OUR football club is currently in a hell of a state and if things don't change soon. i.e. this month, then it could be curtains for us in the SPFL.

They have Bob, but is it because they've become true converts, or is it to try and hold on to their places? Having done that, only to lapse back into old habits and  fall on their faces again? That's what I've been seeing for the last 3 seasons and I'm bloody sick of it.   I'm not white washing the managers either.  Players should be well instructed in what their roles are when we have possession and when we don't. I've never yet seen a side for years that seemed to know what they should be doing in either case.    

As for unhappy players who don't like being shouted at when they've got their boss on his way to a P45. Oh dear, how sad, never mind. They can bleat it wasn't just me if they get an individual blast, but it's no excuse. They can stop crying, shape up, or bugger off. There are players out there who are reasonably consistent. It's the ones that persistently aren't I'm digging at. I'd name a few names but they'd probably tell their mammys on me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Darth Bino said:

They have Bob, but is it because they've become true converts, or is it to try and hold on to their places? Having done that, only to lapse back into old habits and  fall on their faces again? That's what I've been seeing for the last 3 seasons and I'm bloody sick of it.   I'm not white washing the managers either.  Players should be well instructed in what their roles are when we have possession and when we don't. I've never yet seen a side for years that seemed to know what they should be doing in either case.    

As for unhappy players who don't like being shouted at when they've got their boss on his way to a P45. Oh dear, how sad, never mind. They can bleat it wasn't just me if they get an individual blast, but it's no excuse. They can stop crying, shape up, or bugger off. There are players out there who are reasonably consistent. It's the ones that persistently aren't I'm digging at. I'd name a few names but they'd probably tell their mammys on me.

I imagine that one of the problems might be that some players arent good enough or intelligent enough to follow instructions.

And given today's snowflakery, I would further posit that said players would then blame the manager and down tools.

As everybody wants instant success this translates into sacking the manager before we play the whole game again. 

Time for the players to decide if they want to have careers in the game and, if so, what they're going to do about it.

We have a squad that is clearly underperforming and that's not all down to KR and MH 

• Like 1

If some players are down tooling or lack the intelligence to follow instructions then it IS  KRs fault. He signed them!

However, by the same rationale, the board signed him!

maybe a pole can be set up by someone more technically savvy than myself.  Whose fault is it?

1 hour ago, Mr grumpy said:

If some players are down tooling or lack the intelligence to follow instructions then it IS  KRs fault. He signed them!

maybe a pole can be set up by someone more technically savvy than myself.  Whose fault is it?

I don’t give a hang whose fault it is I just want it sorted!

• Like 2

As I said above i believe it is a confidence thing.  Players dont deliberately down tools or set out not to follow a game plan.  But they are human beings so will do things differently under pressure.  

Teams also need to be greater than the sum of their parts to achieve success and that takes time.  Finding the right individuals and getting them to gel into a team is not easy in any line of work.

I hope you are as lavish with your praise as you are with your criticism if KR does turn things around.  

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Bobs said:

I don’t give a hang whose fault it is I just want it sorted!

Totally agree with @Bobs, finger pointing and blaming gets you nowhere, and by doing this, all that happens is people get entangled in all sorts of rants that ultimately you end up being caught up in a snakes wedding and nothing is achieved.

What we need is big leadership to get the problem sorted, that has to come from KR and to a slightly lesser extent, Ross McGeachie, first and foremost. If they can’t address the problems, with the help of the Coaching Staff and the other players, then the board must step in. We’ve seen in the past that they are not afraid to do that, but they have to give KR time to rectify the problems first.

I have absolutely nothing to back this up, other than a hunch after KR’s statement in the SO saying that the budget was now spent, only to go and sign another 2 players (Duffy & Bikey). I suspect the board have already had “the chat” with him and he knows he is in last chance saloon, and this is them giving him his chance to rectify things. I could be wrong, it’s only a hunch.

Many of us looked at the squad in July and predicted an uninspiring season, at the same time KR said that we were pushing for the top, and the players he was bringing in were a big improvement in what had been shown the door and that these players also brought the desire to work hard for him as a manager but also the desire and hunger to be a part of this club. Where have we heard that before I wonder?

KR has said that things need to change, and I put it in a post elsewhere, but it does and it needs to fast. We’ll not get out of this by simply working hard, everyone is working hard and we’ll not get out of this by pointing blame, that gets us nowhere. How do we get out of this, well that’s for KR and Martin Hardie to work out but one thing is for sure, we will have a better chance if we can keep all our players on the park and get our more attacking players on the ball in places that allow them to hurt the opposition. 

After the defeat to Cove, a lot of supporters were saying that the next 4 games were vital to the future of KR, he has now lost the first two, two games that were there for the win, and we now move onto a third and I think the pressure is intensifying on him. He has to get his team selection right, and like Steve Clarke at national level, he needs a huge performance but ultimately he needs a win, not a hard luck story.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chuckitphilliben said:

I imagine that one of the problems might be that some players arent good enough or intelligent enough to follow instructions.

And given today's snowflakery, I would further posit that said players would then blame the manager and down tools.

As everybody wants instant success this translates into sacking the manager before we play the whole game again. 

Time for the players to decide if they want to have careers in the game and, if so, what they're going to do about it.

We have a squad that is clearly underperforming and that's not all down to KR and MH 

Yep!.  Well said sir.

2 hours ago, chuckitphilliben said:

As I said above i believe it is a confidence thing.  Players dont deliberately down tools or set out not to follow a game plan.  But they are human beings so will do things differently under pressure.  

Teams also need to be greater than the sum of their parts to achieve success and that takes time.  Finding the right individuals and getting them to gel into a team is not easy in any line of work.

I hope you are as lavish with your praise as you are with your criticism if KR does turn things around.  

Are you confident KR will turn things round, then.  From what I've seen of him, in the dug out recently, he's not as animated as he used to be and at times looked crestfallen. I think he's regretting taking on some of his summer signings.

Edited by Robert Young