Jump to content
Beautiful Sunday
Sign in to follow this  
Ross the Boss

Annan Athletic vs The Binos

Recommended Posts

So here are some stats...

It's been over a year since we lost to Annan.

Our last six meetings have featured 3 or more goals in each match. 

You have to go all the way back to September 2013 to find a game in which we haven't scored against them. 

Finally here's quite a positive article about us from The National yesterday.

https://www.thenational.scot/sport/17906255.stirling-albion-39-s-dylan-bikey-seen-cult-hero-amongst-fans/

Mon the Binos! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always a tough place to get something so hopefully we can get something in our 1st visit to Galabank this season. 

Just hope we can build on the Elgin game and start picking up points now. Noticed from club website that Kevin Nicholl and Paul MacLean will be available for this game after suspension so that's good news. 

Annan whilst they have lost some of the better players from last season will be difficult to beat and that's why I am going for a draw on Saturday. 

Prediction Annan 1 Binos 1  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With what I have seen so far this season and with what I witnessed on Saturday, McLean will need to wait to get back into the team. The back 4 were excellent against Elgin and, assuming everyone is ok, we should go with it again in this match.

Kevin Nicol will be an interesting one. We did miss his physicality in the centre of the park during the second half last week, especially when they were putting us under the cosh, but up until Josh Peters went off, Jardine & Wilson were doing well there and neither deserve to be dropped. 

Annan is never an easy place to go, would be quite happy with a point, and would be delighted if we bagged all 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going down on the bus with the supporters club, hopefully after last weeks win there will be a few more fellow Binos making the journey south to cheer on the lads again. 

Annan always a great away day, flashbacks to the 5-3 game and the 4-4 game in recent years. 

Going to be a tight affair I reckon, only a goal will separate the teams, 2-1 Binos, Peters and the cult hero Dylan Bikey to score a last minute winner and jump into the crowd 😁

Rave on 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This will be a tough one.  If we win, I will start to believe, but if we don’t ....

on another side note, there has been no mention of Gary Caldwell.  It wasn’t that long ago that he was touted to be our manager. Are people still keen on him as an option one day, or is his stock now low?

possibly a lucky miss imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mr grumpy said:

on another side note, there has been no mention of Gary Caldwell.  It wasn’t that long ago that he was touted to be our manager. Are people still keen on him as an option one day, or is his stock now low?

Don’t remember him being mentioned for our job by any of the supporters, however I would have been totally against that appointment before or even now after his appointment at Partick Thistle.

I’ve said before, if you are going to go down the route of appointing an experienced manager at this level, you’re going to have to appoint someone with failure on their CV and that’s fine, I can accept that however there is a way to fail, at Wigan, Chesterfield and now Partick Thistle, he has failed and come across as an arrogant, self centred man at the same time. I’m not saying his is, but there are lots of quotes and reports to back this up, I point to his recent ‘A Night Of Football Expertise’ event that he spoke about on BBC Sportsound at the tail end of last season, when his team were rooted at the bottom of League 1.

At this level when fan engagement is half the battle for a club, an appointment like Caldwell is not what you need, look at the disaster Scott Booth causes at Stenny or Brian Reid at Ayr, they come across as very similar characters.....I might be wrong about Caldwell, but it’s the impression I have had over the years.

Anyway, a little off topic 😂 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The good thing about Gary Caldwell is that he feels he is a top drawer manager! Remember he was angry and not being considered for the Scotland job when mcleish got it (argument as to who wouldv been worse) No chance he will every lower himself to consider applying for our managers job 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mr grumpy said:

This will be a tough one.  If we win, I will start to believe, but if we don’t ....

I doubt KR will be to concerned about trying to appease you. You don’t seem like the target demographic to measure anything by.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Football management is such a lottery. While the manager is very very important, their success depends on so many variables it's often hard to predict season-to-season, let alone club-to-club.

Now, I've said this before, but our most successful managers of recent times were Brogan, Drinkell and Moore. All of them novices on taking up the position; all of them successful with us; all of them unsuccessful elsewhere. While Stewart and Scott weren't short of experience and success, yet brought neither to our Binos. 

My instinct (and ignorant mind) tells me we need more experienced footballing minds around the club in order to move forward - while not necessarily requiring an experienced manager. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Ross the Boss said:

Football management is such a lottery. While the manager is very very important, their success depends on so many variables it's often hard to predict season-to-season, let alone club-to-club.

Now, I've said this before, but our most successful managers of recent times were Brogan, Drinkell and Moore. All of them novices on taking up the position; all of them successful with us; all of them unsuccessful elsewhere. While Stewart and Scott weren't short of experience and success, yet brought neither to our Binos. 

My instinct (and ignorant mind) tells me we need more experienced footballing minds around the club in order to move forward - while not necessarily requiring an experienced manager. 

Brogan, Drinkell, Moore: attackers

Philliben, Stewart, McKay, McDonald: Defenders.

😱

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it’s a point but missed penalty  cost us a possible win.

Still on to next week when we face Stenny, and hopefully 3 points.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BinoBalls said:

Wasn’t there but happy enough with a point and a 2nd consecutive clean sheet. Builds on the result from last week. 

You know, we do need wins on the board but as BinoBalls says, i’m happy enough with a point today. I would have taken that before kick off but obviously disappointed that Mackin has missed a penalty.

Stenny did us a favour, we didn’t loose, no complaints from me and I look forward to hearing how we got on from those that were there.

Edited by Buster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to my action reporter at the game, Annan were really poor and we weren't much better. A point would be about right then, but when teams are there for the taking, it's disappointing we can't do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A game we would have likely lost in the opening weeks of the season. When you bring Hawke & Wright off the bench you can’t expect too much, albeit twitter suggests the latter nearly grabbed a winner. 

Next 2 weeks massive. Two wins and we have daylight, and can start looking up the way. Two defeats & we remain in big bother 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldn't make it today but happy that we got a point and kept a clean sheet.   We need to start converting some of these chances though and getting some wins under out belt.  

5 points off a play off place with 29 games to go would suggest we are still in with a shout.  Remain positive.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Craigy said:

Next 2 weeks massive. Two wins and we have daylight, and can start looking up the way. Two defeats & we remain in big bother 

Agree got to get the points from the next 2 games to give us breathing space. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BinoBalls said:

Wasn’t there but happy enough with a point and a 2nd consecutive clean sheet. Builds on the result from last week. 

Aye. Definitely positives. But reality was 2 points dropped. Annan were piss poor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a horrible game of football. The ball seemed to spend more time in the air than on the ground,on a couple of occasions the keepers kicked the ball clean to each other. We had Two great chances to win...missed a soft  (to my eyes) penalty well wide and had one at the end where the action seemed to be in slow motion with the ball just pleading to be sent into the net, before we missed.

Still, we are now one more point closer to 4th, although more realistically we are one point further away from last as we still miss anything resembling a cutting edge.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J19 said:

What a horrible game of football. The ball seemed to spend more time in the air than on the ground,on a couple of occasions the keepers kicked the ball clean to each other. We had Two great chances to win...missed a soft  (to my eyes) penalty well wide and had one at the end where the action seemed to be in slow motion with the ball just pleading to be sent into the net, before we missed.

Still, we are now one more point closer to 4th, although more realistically we are one point further away from last as we still miss anything resembling a cutting edge.  

All fair comments.

Plastic pitches are shite. A bit worried that McGregor & McGeachie both seemed to have knee twist injuries out of nothing & Blair Currie looked like he twisted an ankle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...