Beautiful Sunday
Sign in to follow this  
Bino2014

Brechin City v The Binos

Quite an open and entertaining game today that was not bad to watch.  

First half was pretty even with both teams enjoying wee spells of dominance. McManus had a couple of free headers in the first half and it was no surprise when he eventually popped one in just after half time.  We were flat for a bit after that but rallied really well 

We played some nice stuff and deservedly equalised when Paul McLean looped a header back over the keeper from the angle of the 6 yard box.

The rest of the game was largely one way traffic as we pinned brechin back and looked for the winner. We missed a hatful of chances including a cammy Thomson shot that the keeper managed to tip onto the bar. 

As happens when you're down at the foot of the table we didn't get a single break of the ball as brechin defenders flung themselves in front of every ball that came into the box.  Nothing ran for us all day.

But this was a much better performance and we are not far off on that display.

So chins up.  We are due a break soon.

Positives - kevin nicol got his timing right for most of the game and was excellent especially second half.  Our passing was much better throughout the team. The difference in the team after the equaliser showed what we could be if we get it right.

Negatives - the defence was poor first half, not helped by the sitting midfielders nicol and wilson offering little protection.  That changed after half time. 

Onward and upward 

Posted (edited)

Having watched far more of us this season than any other for last 15 years I am a little unsure of what to do. Like Iv said before this is not a team who aren’t responding to the manager, arguably he is changing things for the better during games but he also picks the starting 11 and has signed every player at his disposal.

We have a solid back line, Currie is not being asked to make many saves each week but the glaring problem is at the other end . As mentioned Duffy & bikey were signed to bolster our attacking options yet he picks Hawke (I know bikey was injured). I thought he was awful today and is one of quite a few poor signings. Not sure what Wilson offers & what Docherty has done to not get in ahead of him. 

I want to remain positive and see signs we aren’t far away but until we start scoring goals we will remain at the wrong end of the table.

On another note was it just me or was the ref good today? Guess Brechin fans might disagree, I just felt he allowed Nicol to tackle and win challenges that a lot of other refs penalise him for. He isn’t an angel but I think at times his reputation goes before him. Today the ref seemed to be happy to allow him to challenge at times quite robustly. As the game went on I felt he controlled it & other than McManus was the best player on the park.

Edited by Craigy

2 hours ago, The West Stand said:

First quarter finished

1 win. Last season we had 2 and MacKay left. Is KR touching on sacking territory now? 

Elgin City, Queens Park, Albion Rovers and Brechin City have all only won 2 games. 

Mackay had 3-0 loses to Clyde and Albion Rovers and 3-1 to Edinburgh City in the first quarter last season.

Its still far to early to be pressing the panic button.  Challenging for the title was never a reality this season and KRs biggest mistake was publicly starting that it was. At best this squad would be competing for 4th. More likely it will be challenging of mid-table mediocrity along with the rest of the teams highlighted above. 

Rightly or wrongly KR trusts these players. Any new manager brought in during the season would be looking to empty as many of them as possible out in January. Then the rest the following summer. The turnover this summer was 18 players out and 17 players in I think. That in itself is another reason the team is where it is at this point in time. 

Seriously, what would sacking KR tonight achieve?

For a start it would cause a financial hit which happens when you terminate a contract early. We're not a club that can afford to be spending absolutely anything more than we have to. 

Then it would undoubtedly unsettle the team, which could cause us our form to dip even further and thus compounding our current problems.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not convinced that success is guaranteed under KR. But neither is it under any replacement. 

Of course, if we get pumped repeatedly by 3 or 4 goals in the next few games then that's an entirely different matter. But right now, let us not forget we haven't lost in the League since August and our form in the last 6 matches doesn't paint such a gloomy picture (but yes, it still isn't great versus where we want to be).

Our next League game against Cowdenbeath will be a very good litmus test on where we actually are. The division's current most in-form team visiting Forthbank. Bring it on! 

Capture+_2019-10-05-20-05-48.png

39 minutes ago, Craigy said:

Having watched far more of us this season than any other for last 15 years I am a little unsure of what to do. Like Iv said before this is not a team who aren’t responding to the manager, arguably he is changing things for the better during games but he also picks the starting 11 and has signed every player at his disposal.

We have a solid back line, Currie is not being asked to make many saves each week but the glaring problem is at the other end . As mentioned Duffy & bikey were signed to bolster our attacking options yet he picks Hawke (I know bikey was injured). I thought he was awful today and is one of quite a few poor signings. Not sure what Wilson offers & what Docherty has done to not get in ahead of him. 

I want to remain positive and see signs we aren’t far away but until we start scoring goals we will remain at the wrong end of the table.

On another note was it just me or was the ref good today? Guess Brechin fans might disagree, I just felt he allowed Nicol to tackle and win challenges that a lot of other refs penalise him for. He isn’t an angel but I think at times his reputation goes before him. Today the ref seemed to be happy to allow him to challenge at times quite robustly. As the game went on I felt he controlled it & other than McManus was the best player on the park.

I think the next 2 home league games will be critical to whether KR remains in post or is given the bullet. I would hope to get at least 4 points from these games. If we play badly at get nothing then expect panic bells to start ringing in the Boardroom. We cant afford to let a big gap develop between ourselves and those teams above us. 

Yes I though the ref had a good game, could have penalised some challenges but let the game flow. Agree Nicol had a good game today his best for us yet I think and if he continues along this vein then that's all good for us. 

was lovely to be back on the supporters bus today. among friends and the newer more calm pete . agrees that to bin the manager now would be a mistake i never thought id here  myself say that but there you go . i honestly dont believe were far from turning this situation around .thee was nothing in the opening half between the sides . we got off to the worst possible start conceding 90 secs into the second half when mcmanus was given the the freedom off glebe park to head the opener . for 15 mins or so we where a bit punch drunk . and being honest standing where i was kr did look defleted  and had the look off someone who suspected his time might be up . as there was little response . but thankfully paul mcleans header which looked to be going over dropping in the far corner 

threw us a lifeline . and from then till the final whistle should have gone on and won the game . in injury time the keepers produced a miracle to palm a cammy thompson shot which was going in no question on to the crossbar so 90 mins its finished 1-1 . and in truth for majority like last week we where the better team the longer the match went on . its not as if the players are not trying . support for kr from the players is there no question 

only fault i can find with the side today was the selection off lewis hawke who had a shocker . and contributed next to nothing . case off what looked like old pals act from the manager from their previous time at morton . dominick docherty surely   would have been a better option must be thinking just now what have i got to do to get a game . my man off the match today kevin nichol did all that was asked off him and did little wrong . im certainly not comfortable with our current situation but see cause to think were not far from dragging ourself clear off this mire where in just now . il wait till we have a full squad to pick from then if it doesnt get better then that situation might have to be looked at till then im happy to let things continue as they are till their cause not to 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mr grumpy said:

Can someone set up a poll to see how many people think the manager should be given more time?

No, it’s more fun watching you stamping your feet like a petulant child who isn’t getting what they want! 

I’ve asked you before and I’ll ask you again. If the club sack KR who do they get in that is guaranteed to do a better job with the squad that they will inherit? If you can’t answer that question then it’s not KR that’s the main problem. 

By the way I don’t rate KR as a manger either, but I’m not prepared to shit the bed yet based on the current situation. I don’t think changing the driver is going to make this car any better. The parts will still be the same.

In response to your earlier comment about the board backing KR with the budget. The signings of Duffy and Bikey seem reactive to the situation. I’d guess both will be at the top end of the squad pay scale or certainly on more money than Peters and Hawke. So, if that money had been available since the start of the season why was it not spent then? As has been pointed out already, it is probably still cheaper for the board to find extra cash for those two players than to have to pay off yet another management team and start the cycle over again.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

manager picks the side yes .today its the players missing the chances . and cant say there not creating them .as i said earlier only fault today was hawke who looks a complete haddy apart from last week . manager made the changes last week to change things got a draw . today was picking what was avalible but a bit tied when peters bikey and mackin are not avalible due to injury and whats happened to daniel prodan  rogers the invisible man .will we ever see him kick a ball in earnest 

my biggest question mark .is what has max wright done to deserve a second chance . is kev feeling sorry for him and making him a charity case .not being critical just a observation does anyone agree with this 

Edited by pete 123

6 hours ago, pete 123 said:

my biggest question mark .is what has max wright done to deserve a second chance . is kev feeling sorry for him and making him a charity case .not being critical just a observation does anyone agree with this 

Cheap wages Pete. It’s unbelievable to get your head around that a semi-professional team has shirt fillers, but this squad is full of them. The manager can only spend the budget he is given (Stuart Brown has already stated that bringing more money is an issue) and also has to decide how many players he needs to get through the season. 

Hawke was shocking yesterday, we only started playing when Duffy came on. It looks like he got the nod because he won some headers the previous week. That is where we are at.

Nice little cameo from Willis at the end. He can whip in a corner and was calm in possession, maybe he can share a jersey with Heavers as they are not 90 minute performers.

Not a Nicol fan but he was great in the 2nd half yesterday, thought the ref was a bit generous though.

We need Bikey and Peters back quickly but I took comfort yesterday that Brechin are a poor bunch. And they are not a fit lot with a poor support.

Felt sorry for Thomson yesterday, keeper had an amazing save to tip that on the bar. 

The last 20 mins was a reminder why I still waste my time watching the Binos. I needed that.

10 hours ago, Mr grumpy said:

Can someone set up a poll to see how many people think the manager should be given more time?

Frustration I can understand. The team are not performing to its potential. What I can’t understand Are calls for KR’s removal when the team starts picking up points.

intresting point i red  this morning . relegation for either off yesterdays teams would be a disaster. as is being shown at berwick rangers . whos fan owned club today are looking to sell the club back into private ownership .as things havent worked out . near the bottom off the lowland league and in dire straits finance wise  . stirling are not there yet .and dont anticipate they will but troubling seeing the effect off dropping out off the spfl brings to a club

Posted (edited)

hate to post a negative slant on k r post match comments. but really   lewis hawke. was the manager watching the same game we where . i get it deserved his start after his decent shift last week against stenny . but yesterday should have been hooked at half time his only contribuation was being a nuisance and there to make up the numbers . for me hes been a awful signing along with max wright  its all right to have a big squad  but not to  be paying to carry passengers or shirt fillers as has been posted . anyway onwards and upwards 

Edited by pete 123

1 hour ago, pete 123 said:

hate to post a negative slant on k r post match comments. but really   lewis hawke. was the manager watching the same game we where . i get it deserved his start after his decent shift last week against stenny . but yesterday should have been hooked at half time his only contribuation was being a nuisance and there to make up the numbers . for me hes been a awful signing along with max wright  its all right to have a big squad  but not to  be paying to carry passengers or shirt fillers as has been posted . anyway onwards and upwards

The manager is hardly likely to come out and have a pop at the players in public.  Hawke worked hard but was generally quite ineffective.  You can't fault him for effort though.  You can tell that Duffy has played at a higher level as he is much more aware of possibilities around him.  Unfortunately, he is stricken with the same lack of confidence bug that everyone else has.  He and others are maybe trying a bit too hard at times and lacking in composure.

My personal choice would be Duffy and Peters to start up front with Heaver coming on for the last twenty minutes or so.  I really like Heaver but I think at this stage he is better used as an impact sub.  Can't help feeling he would have run riot against a knackered Brechin defence if he'd come on later in the game.

Duffy and Peters looked to have a good understanding going in the Albion Rovers game - before the sendings off - and I think we might get some goals out of that partnership so I would be persevering with it.

The keeper and defence are generally pretty solid - although I thought our defence was posted missing far too often on Saturday.  Midfield is still a bit of a problem although Nicol - and to some extent Wilson - came onto a bit of a game in the second half.  If we had everyone back fit, I would probably be looking at a midfield 4 of Nicol and Jardine/Wilson in the middle with Bikey wide right and Cammy Thomson on the left.  Danny has gone off the boil in recent weeks and maybe needs a rest although I do think he is better playing through the middle rather than out wide. 

What is pretty clear to me is that there is easily enough talent in the squad to be up at the other end of the table.  The guys just need to have a bit more self-belief and show a bit more composure in the final third.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, chuckitphilliben said:

The manager is hardly likely to come out and have a pop at the players in public.  Hawke worked hard but was generally quite ineffective.  You can't fault him for effort though.  You can tell that Duffy has played at a higher level as he is much more aware of possibilities around him.  Unfortunately, he is stricken with the same lack of confidence bug that everyone else has.  He and others are maybe trying a bit too hard at times and lacking in composure.

My personal choice would be Duffy and Peters to start up front with Heaver coming on for the last twenty minutes or so.  I really like Heaver but I think at this stage he is better used as an impact sub.  Can't help feeling he would have run riot against a knackered Brechin defence if he'd come on later in the game.

Duffy and Peters looked to have a good understanding going in the Albion Rovers game - before the sendings off - and I think we might get some goals out of that partnership so I would be persevering with it.

The keeper and defence are generally pretty solid - although I thought our defence was posted missing far too often on Saturday.  Midfield is still a bit of a problem although Nicol - and to some extent Wilson - came onto a bit of a game in the second half.  If we had everyone back fit, I would probably be looking at a midfield 4 of Nicol and Jardine/Wilson in the middle with Bikey wide right and Cammy Thomson on the left.  Danny has gone off the boil in recent weeks and maybe needs a rest although I do think he is better playing through the middle rather than out wide. 

What is pretty clear to me is that there is easily enough talent in the squad to be up at the other end of the table.  The guys just need to have a bit more self-belief and show a bit more composure in the final third.

Agree with a lot of your comments especially regarding Danny Jardine. Watched him yesterday and felt he was wasted out wide right, get him back in the middle. Regarding Hawke as you say not a lot of effectiveness from him yesterday. Peters if fit would have been starting in his place. Cammy Thomson must be wondering what he has to do to claim a starting place in this team on a regular basis, lets hope KR gives him the chance to claim a first team spot. Heaver has pace and like you would use him as a sub to come off the bench in say the last 20 minutes to have a go at a tiring defence.  We had chances yesterday to win this game but thanks to some poor finishing and a great save from the Brechin goalie in injury time we left Glebe Park with only 1 point. 

Next League game is at home against Cowdenbeath who are on a great run at the moment up to 2nd spot behind Cove. No doubt they will fancy their chances against us at Forthbank. The next 2 home League games are going to be important to us and I would hope we pick up at least 4 points from these games. If we play badly and don't get much from these games I fear the clamour to git rid of KR will only increase. We cannot let a gap develop between ourselves and the other teams above us, if that happens then the Board will have to act. 

Edited by Bino2014

I suspect the cup tie against strathspey is just as important.  A win there and a decent tie in the next round eases the financial pressures.  Might even allow some personnel changes in january.  

A defeat puts everybody under pressure.  We saw what happened last year with LTHV ..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chuckitphilliben said:

Hawke worked hard but was generally quite ineffective.  You can't fault him for effort though.

TBH, I did fault him for effort yesterday. I thought he was hiding up front. Very rarely offered himself for an out ball & IMO didn’t work hard enough 

I can only imagine Rutkiewicz saw something in Hawke. Maybe in training he see’s that but other than a wee flash for 20 mins against stenny im not not seeing it. As the manager he will try and keep his confidence up and is gona come out and slaughter him but like Wright on what I have seen he just isn’t good enough.Its not his fault the manager picks him, but I felt he offered nothing yesterday & being on Duffy made a massive difference because he moved about! Sadly with Peters (who I don’t see much in either but at least he scores) & Mackin unfit KR’s hands are a wee bit tied! Would hope Duffy will never be benched ahead of him again but maybe he’l find Something and prove us all wrong

Positivity is based on the assumption that results will improve.  At this point I am not confident in that assumption.  I may be wrong with that, so I am not calling for KR's head. I do think he's damned lucky still to be in the job, given 1 win out of 9 and his position may be untenable within a fortnight.  I'd like to be proved wrong with that, but we'll see....

Match winning save. Looks even better than the brilliant stop it looked at the time. In fact based on that no idea how he kept that out. Local lad as well. Previously with Falkirk & Stenny

620D6018-1066-45F6-8860-3154F09FF01D.png

• Like 2

one thing to be ;positive . in 2004 in october we where 13 points adrift at the foot off division 2 with 3 points from 11 games . and allan moore facing the chop . and looked no way back given a tuesday night trip to morton at time up a 2-1 win totally unexpected . proppeled us on a 11 game run which saw us pick up 10 win and a draw for 30 points we finished 5th . best result off the run but didnt rub their noses in it as we should have was beating Alloa at the wrek . 4-2 but considering after 52 mins we led 4-0 amid cheers off binos fans singing we want 7 sadily taking our foot off their throats didnt materilise . anyway proof we can turn things around . mind you that team takes some beating . king paddy . stuart devine chris aitken steven  bell paul hay paul nugent happy days  

13 hours ago, chuckitphilliben said:

I suspect the cup tie against strathspey is just as important.  A win there and a decent tie in the next round eases the financial pressures.  Might even allow some personnel changes in january.  

A defeat puts everybody under pressure.  We saw what happened last year with LTHV ..

Spot on. Anybody who is taking this game as a given either wasn’t at the LTHV game or has forgotten a harsh lesson we were taught that day. Reality is that we can’t afford to take any opponents lightly. That might reflect a sad state of affairs - but right now, it is where we’re at. 
Of course we can/should win - but has to start with the right attitude 

• Like 1

Watched the highlights on SATV excellent as usual but oh dear the marking for the Brechin goal was poor. The Brechin No 9 had 3 Albion players round him and still gets a free header in to score. Noticed a few times when balls were crossed into the box Brechin players seemed to have plenty of space with no one challenging them for free headers. 
We need to tighten up at the back and not make it easy for opposition players to get free headers in. Against a better team we would be punished.